I would like to describe one of God’s greatest Power Teams working in His Harvest Field – a husband and wife team. This oneness is described in Ephesians 5:31b (NLT): “A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.” [Genesis 2:24]
- The first step is a marriage where you and your spouse are truly one. “Two people will not walk together unless they have agreed to do so.” Amos 3:3 (ERV) Both husband and wife should be in one accord regarding their relationship not only with each other but with the Lord and God’s calling upon their lives.
- Their relationship should be such that even when they are alone at home, they can confide in each other; tell each other their hang-ups and fears; be able to share everything with each other in love; tell their personal desires and find comfort and encouragement in each other. “If two people sleep together, they will be warm. But a person sleeping alone will not be warm.” Ecclesiastes 4:11 (ERV)
- When Jesus sent out His disciples to reach other areas, He did not send them alone. ”He called the twelve disciples together and sent them out two by two. Mark 6:7a (GNB)
- Jesus knew there is greater strength against the powers of the enemy when two people are of one mind and one purpose. “An enemy might be able to defeat one person, but two people can stand back-to-back to defend each other.” Ecclesiastes 4:12a (ERV)
- Praying together should be one of the major requirements to see greater results in their ministry. God do great things. Imagine this – if you and your spouse (two people) agree in prayer, they can see impossibilities become possible. “To say it another way, if two of you on earth agree on anything you pray for, my Father in heaven will do what you ask.” Matthew 18:19 (ERV)
- The Lord Himself comes to fellowship with you and your spouse wherever you are gathered in His name, which can be anywhere and not only in a church service. “For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” Matthew 18:20 (NLT)
- As husband and wife work together, instead of separately, God gives gifts to each, each gift complimenting the ministry of the other and will see God do great things. “Two people are better than one. When two people work together, they get more work done.” Ecclesiastes 4:9 (ERV)
- Lastly, there is no use even trying to work together for the Lord unless there is the third Person Who is Lord of their lives. Then they together will make it all the way to eternity. Here is the picture of husband, wife and Jesus: “And three people are even stronger. They are like a rope that has three parts wrapped together—it is very hard to break. Ecclesiastes 4:12b (ERV)
For the many years of our married life, we have seen these Scriptures are true. It is not only us, but many, many others in some type of ministry. Young people, when you know God has called you to His work, make sure you choose the husband/wife that can make you an unbeatable team.
A hard-to break relationship.